Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Baby Mantis

The Praying Mantis is one of my favorite insects (along with stick bugs, beetles and butterflies). I love the way they can turn their heads and their unusual mating ritual- the female bites off her mate's head when she is finished with him! 
I was washing hydrangeas I cut from my garden when I saw this little guy scurrying across the counter; I tried to get him on a cup to take outside and you wouldn't believe the attitude! He was thrusting his arms at me and trying to be all scary. Too bad he was only one inch long. 
I usually only see about one Mantis per year, but since I know there are babies in the area maybe I will see more this summer. In the meantime, enjoy these pics of my baby Mantis!





1 comment:

  1. I se them every now and again, and I always like their ethereal walk. A

    ReplyDelete